CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST - Birtley - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish church. 1849-50 by Pickering. Snecked tooled sandstone, blue Lakeland slate roofs. Aisleless nave, west tower flanked by single-storey half-octagonal ended proj- ections, south porch; double-gabled transepts; short one-bay chancel with apse. North of chancel a small semi-circular-ended chapel and a plain vestry. Norman style. Round- headed windows, mostly with roll mouldings and nook shafts with scalloped capitals...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1355096
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 655 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES