DescriptionIn July 1448, a licence was granted to establish a chantry and chantry house at Alnwick. The chantry house was built in Walkergate, the chantry itself - dedicated to St Mary - within the Church of St Michael on Bailiffgate. The chantry house provided accommodation for the chantry chaplains and served as a school; the predecessor of Alnwick Grammar. The house was last used as a school in the early 17th century and in the 18th century it was a tenement house. It survives as a ruin.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/69959962@N00/6182503742/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 6 years, 10 months ago
Viewed: 662 times
Picture Taken: Unknown