St James’s United Reformed Church

  • Description

    Official Website of the church. Includes a section on it's history: "St. James’s originates from a number of sources, including an independent chapel of 1744 and a ‘protestant dissenting’ congregation which met in a malt loft in Silver Street in 1684. The name St. James's was adopted in 1832 when the congregation moved from Silver Street to a new Chapel near Grey’s Monument at the junction of Blackett Street and Grainger Street. In 1859 this was demolished as there was no provision for Sunday School or meetings during the week and a new church built on the site. However the acoustics were not good and it was decided to build a 3rd St. James’s. It was decided to buy a site in Bath Road (now Northumberland Road) on the grounds of the old County Cricket Club. The foundation stone was laid in 1882 and the church was completed 18 months later and opened in 1884....."
  • Owner

    St James’s United Reformed Church
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.stjurc.org.uk/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 885 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES