Description"The Parish Church is dedicated to St Mary (a favourite of the Saxons and shared with Durham Cathedral) and St Stephen (popular with the Normans and the County Durham Prince Bishops) and dates back to C11th. It was almost entirely rebuilt in the Early English style over just 9 months in 1848-49 to the design of a local man, William Nicholson. Some of the earlier features were retained (such as the lower part of the original Norman tower) or remodelled at the time. The tower was heightened by 18 feet in 1856 and strengthened to hold a new peel of three bells." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2581906
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 8 months ago
Viewed: 337 times
Picture Taken: Unknown