St. Oswin's Parish Church, Wylam

  • Description

    "The only church in Northumberland dedicated to St Oswin who was King of Deira from 644 to 651. Deira was the southern half of Northumbria which extended from the Humber to the Tees with its capital in York. Oswin's cousin, Oswy, ruled over Bernicia, which was the adjoining northern part of Northumbria. The church has no great antiquity, its foundation stone was laid by Mrs Richard Clayton of Wylam Hall on 1st January 1885. It was paid for by George and William Hedley, sons of William Hedley who had became manager of Wylam Colliery in 1805, and was closely involved in the development of the early steam locomotives." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2742999
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 698 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES