Old Vicarage (Shilbottle)

  • Description

    "The old vicarage at Shilbottle was once a 16th or 17th century pele tower. It was first recorded in 1415. The tower now forms one corner of the vicarage. In the east wall are an arched window and a square-headed window. These are thought to be 19th century additions. The house was altered in the 19th century; a north wing was built in 1851 and the entire building was restored in 1863. The tower itself has thick sandstone walls and the basement has a stone vault...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Detailsx?PRN=N4258
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 353 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES