MONKWEARMOUTH MUSEUM OF LAND TRANSPORT WITH WALLS, FOOTBRIDGE, WAITING ROOM - List Entry

  • Description

    "Formerly known as: Monkwearmouth Station NORTH BRIDGE STREET. Railway station, now museum. Main building and screen walls 1848 as branch terminus of the Brandling Junction Railway for the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway Co. Footbridge added when line extended in 1879. Rear screen wall supported original train-shed roof, now removed. Passenger waiting room on W platform added 1879. Station closed 1981. Sandstone ashlar station building with Welsh slate roof, cast-iron footbridge with stone side steps and wrought-iron side handrails, wood and glass passenger waiting room. Classical style....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1209029
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 333 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES