Hethpool House

  • Description

    "here are ruined remains of a C14th tower house (or pele) in the grounds. Hethpool House itself dates to the late C17th and was the former seat of Admiral Lord Collingwood. The house was rebuilt in 1919 by George Reavell of Alnwick for Sir Arthur Munro Sutherland, a Tyneside industrialist, in an Arts & Crafts Style. The round tower with the tall conical roof, and a second lower tower below, were added in 1928 by Robert Mauchlen, inspired by Rennie Mackintosh's Hill House NS3083 : The Hill House, Helensburgh LinkExternal link Sir Arthur Munro Sutherland (1867-1953) was chairman of a successful cargo shipping business and other companies in Newcastle. He owned the Newcastle Chronicle newspaper and was President of the Chamber of Shipping. He became Sheriff of Newcastle in 1916–1917 and Lord Mayor in 1918–1919. He was the last private owner of Dunstanburgh Castle which he donated to the nation in 1929, and was also a previous owner of Close House. He was a generous benefactor, instrumental in the establishment of Newcastle Medical School and development of the Dental School, which was named the Sutherland Dental School in his honour." Photo by here are ruined remains of a C14th tower house (or pele) in the grounds. Hethpool House itself dates to the late C17th and was the former seat of Admiral Lord Collingwood. The house was rebuilt in 1919 by George Reavell of Alnwick for Sir Arthur Munro Sutherland, a Tyneside industrialist, in an Arts & Crafts Style. The round tower with the tall conical roof, and a second lower tower below, were added in 1928 by Robert Mauchlen, inspired by Rennie Mackintosh's Hill House NS3083 : The Hill House, Helensburgh LinkExternal link Sir Arthur Munro Sutherland (1867-1953) was chairman of a successful cargo shipping business and other companies in Newcastle. He owned the Newcastle Chronicle newspaper and was President of the Chamber of Shipping. He became Sheriff of Newcastle in 1916–1917 and Lord Mayor in 1918–1919. He was the last private owner of Dunstanburgh Castle which he donated to the nation in 1929, and was also a previous owner of Close House. He was a generous benefactor, instrumental in the establishment of Newcastle Medical School and development of the Dental School, which was named the Sutherland Dental School in his honour. " Photo by Andrew Curtis, 20102, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3153764
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 714 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES