Cullercoats Lifeboat Station - List Entry

  • Description

    "....A RNLI lifeboat station, provided by the Duke of Northumberland, was built at Cullercoats in 1852. This building housed the various Cullercoats lifeboats until 1896 when the Co-operative Wholesale Society funded the construction of the present boathouse designed by architects Oliver & Leeson of Newcastle. First depicted on the 1:2500 Ordnance Survey map published in 1897 as a rectangular building, the bell tower is not shown as being present. However it is depicted in a painting of the boathouse dated to 1910, and was clearly added between these two dates. The boathouse featured in two paintings by John Falconer Slater: 'Cullercoats 1910' and 'Stormy Sea at Cullercoats'; Slater was a member of the 'Cullercoats Colony' a group of professional artists centered on the fishing community between 1870 and 1920...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1411983
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 251 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES