TURNER MAUSOLEUM ADJOINING CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT - List Entry

  • Description

    "Mausoleum 1739/40 by James Gibbs; restored and internal cladding added, 1839. Sandstone ashlar; coursed rubble plinth. Lead on cornice and step-backs of roof. Octagonal plan; south and south-west sides adjoin Church of St. Cuthbert (q.v.). Baroque. Single tall storey with basement burial chamber. Entered from church. Deep plinth. Diagonal buttresses, capped with inverted volutes..."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1159896
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 311 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES