BERWICK CASTLE (FRAGMENTS, INCLUDING TOWERS AND WALLS AND STEPS) - List Entry

  • Description

    "There was a fortress here in the C12, but it was often besieged, attacked and altered. In the beginning of the C17 a large town house was begun on the site, but after 1611 the castle was left to decline. A large part of the stonework was removed for building Holy Trinity Church, and later the greater part of the remains were swept away for the railway station on the site. The west curtain wall survives in part, with steep steps down to the river (end of C13), and fragments of towers of the C16...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1290213
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 274 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES