Tyne and Wear HER(5474): Wallsend, Station Road, Buddle Schools

  • Description

    "The Buddle School or Wallsend Board Schools (for juniors and infants) were built in the mid 1870s, following the Elementary Education Act of 1870 which provided elementary education for the working classes. A site adjacent to the recently closed 'C' pit was acquired for £800 per acre. The school was named after John Buddle, a notable Wallsend figure and local mining engineer. He became manager of Wallsend Colliery in 1803 where he contributed to the improvement of safety underground..."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/5474
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 389 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES