Description"Memorial to Dr John Hunter Rutherford (1826-1890) evangelist and preacher from Jedburgh who had a church in Bath Lane. The memorial, erected in 1894 by the Band of Hope, was originally located in St Nicholas Square and was moved to Bigg Market when the Queen Victoria statue was installed. Bigg Market, with its wild night life and many pubs is an ironic location (or maybe a good one) for a committed temperance campaigner. One of the inscriptions on the monument reads 'Water is best'. It was renovated and moved again to its current location in 1997 as part of the Grainger Town Project." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1693007
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years ago
Viewed: 436 times
Picture Taken: Unknown