Description"The name derives from Lambton Castle, the ancestral family home of the Lambton family. With coal having been extracted in the area from the 1600s, the commercial extraction of coal was developed by John Lambton in the lands surrounding the castle through the Wear Valley. The first of seven pits was sunk in the village of Bournmoor from 1783 onwards, which together were to make up what was known as Lambton Colliery. The company was first formed when Lambton's grandson, John Lambton the first Earl of Durham, entered Parliament as a Whig politician. The formal name change to Lambton Collieries was adopted in 1896...
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambton_Collieries
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
Viewed: 379 times
Picture Taken: Unknown