Tyne and Wear HER(13): Hylton Chapel

  • Description

    "The earliest known reference is 1157, when Romanus of Hylton obtained permission to appoint a chaplain for his chapel. The Hyltons were later allowed to bury there, leading to the foundation of chantries, and there were 3 chantry priests by 1370. The last recorded chaplain was 1536. Thereafter there were only occasional attempts to keep it in repair. Roofless, the chapel now consists of a chancel, rebuilt in the early 15th century and subsequently altered ..."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/13
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 3 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 266 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES