Middlesbrough Dock Clocktower

  • Description

    "...The burgeoning coal trade and the increasing size of ships meant that Middlesbrough Dock underwent three remodelling and enlargement schemes during its first sixty years. The first (1869-74) entailed the demolition of the dock offices, the latter being replaced by a gothic two-storey building by William Peachey, the NER Darlington Section architect. The second (1878-86) left these buildings unscathed. The third (1897-1902) involved quite drastic changes, including a resiting of the dock entrance further east. A new clocktower and offices were therefore required..."
  • Owner

    Railway Architecture of North East England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.railwayarchitecture.org.uk/Location/Middlesbrough/Middlesbrough%20Dock%20Clocktower.htm
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 8 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 742 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES