Former Coastguard buildings at Brown's Point

  • Description

    "Former site of a First World War radio telegraphy station built in 1906 by the De Forest Company for Marconi. Extended c.1930 with a wireless station building for HM Coastguard. This is an exceptionally early and well-preserved example, grouping with a later and carefully-handled radio station, of a building associated with the initial development of radio telegraphy. It dates from 1906, thus marking the first phase of wireless telegraphy's major contribution towards the twentieth century's scientific-technical revolution. The early building survives in very close proximity to a larger station dating from c1930, that in its handling and sensitive use of materials - including Westmorland slate roofs - typifies the careful approach towards the architectural treatment of government-owned utility buildings of the inter-war period at its best. Cullercoats served as a maritime radio receiving station listening for maritime distress signals on the 500 kHz Morse Code band. Its call sign was "GCC" It was closed with other similar stations after the Coastguard Agency no longer required maritime radio services to maintain 500 kHz distress watch." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2015, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4746166
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 8 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 745 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES