Cliff House, Cullercoats

  • Description

    "Cliff House is one of the oldest and most attractive buildings in Cullercoats and dates from 1768. The builder and first owner of the house was Thomas Armstrong, a commander of His Majesty’s Cutter, 'Bridlington'. It was alleged he helped smugglers escape, which may help account for his grandiose house. Close to here was the site of the Bank Top studio (now demolished) of the famous American artist Winslow Homer (1836-1910)." Photograph by Andrew Curtis, 2009, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1635200
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 959 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES