Description"Photo shows the 12-storey block on the north side (oriented east-west), the tower with its carillon of sea horses (the emblem of the city), banqueting hall on the right hand side, and part of the rear car park. The building was designed by the City Architect, G W Kenyon, and built between 1956 and 1963. The Civic Centre is considered as an important public building of its period, built with a high quality of materials and craftsmanship, and containing numerous works of quality art. Tyne and Wear HER(9059): Newcastle, Barras Bridge, Civic Centre. The tower supports the Edith Adamson Carillon which was donated to the City in 1967. The carillon weighs 22 tons and consists of 24 bronze bells, whose clappers are played by wires from a key and foot console." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2012, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1669861
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Pat Thomson
Last modified: 3 years, 7 months ago
Viewed: 392 times
Picture Taken: Unknown