Monkwearmouth Station Museum - Local Studies Fact Sheet

  • Description

    "The new railway station in North Bridge Street, Monkwearmouth was opened on 19 June 1848. It was the new Sunderland terminus for the Brandling Junction Railway, opened in 1839, that linked Wearside with South Shields and Gateshead..... in 1967 it was closed to travellers ...The building was saved from dereliction by Sunderland Corporation and was reopened as a Museum by HRH the Duke of Edinburgh in 1973...."
  • Owner

    Sunderland Public Library Service
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=6951
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 330 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES