Description"Shown here is the stretch of Town Wall which includes the Morden and Ever defensive Towers. The Morden Tower was increased in height in 1618 as a meeting place for the Plumbers, Glaziers and Pewterers Company and enlarged again in 1700. Further along are the remains of the Ever Tower which was occupied by the Company of Paviours, Colliers and Carriage-men, and in the 19C by an eccentric known as 'Hairy Nanny'. The deep ditch outside the walls was added for defensive purposes in about 1312. It was re-excavated and landscaped along this stretch in 1988. The wooden bridge replaces one in this location that was built by the Dominicans from the nearby Friary in 1312. The building just visible on the left is the now restored isolation hospital or 'House of Recovery' built in 1804. It was closed in 1888. St Andrew's Poor House and the Lunatic Asylum, located nearby, have been demolished. The new developments in the distance are the buildings of Citygate and Gallowgate." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1665618
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 11 months ago
Viewed: 375 times
Picture Taken: Unknown