Grey's Monument

  • Description

    Description and summary of the history of Grey's monument. "...he railings protecting the base with four lamps at each corner disappeared at the start of this century(13) and in July 1941 Baily's statue was struck by lightning which caused the head to fall into a ladies outfitters in Grainger Street. The monument remained headless until 12th January 1948, when a replica weighing 303 kilograms was carved for it by Roger Hedley.(14) Perhaps the most significant change to the monument occurred in the late 1970s when a Metro station was built beneath it..."
  • Owner

    Public Monuments and Sculpture Assocaition
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://archive.pmsa.org.uk/pmsa-database/9484/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 524 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES