Holy Cross Church, Chatton

  • Description

    "The original church building at Chatton was granted to Alnwick Abbey between 1157-1184 by the Norman Baron of Alnwick William de Vesci. It is thought that the monks of Alnwick used to spend the summer months at Chatton. After the dissolution of the monasteries the patronage was vested in the Earldom of Percy. It is believed that the first church was destroyed in the thirteenth century, a second church on a site nearer to the river was subjected to flooding and burned down early in the eighteenth century – though the walls survived. The vicar, William Burrell, started restoration work, though the place is reported to have been in ruins for many years and possibly afflicted by another fire. Re-building started in earnest in 1770 in the early gothic revival style. The Church organ – which is still in use each Sunday – is a rare piece by GM Holdich, formerly housed in Trinity College, Oxford, it is possibly one of the oldest organs in the county of Northumberland....."
  • Owner

    Church of England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.achurchnearyou.com/chatton-holy-cross/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 7 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 657 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES