Plaque on the entrance to The Spinney flats, High Heaton Newcastle

  • Description

    Built in the 1960's, the Spinney is on the site of Heaton High Pit which closed in 1852. The pit was the scene of a disaster in 1815 when 41 men and 34 boys died when water flooded the pit from some old mine workings. The plaque reads: On 3rd May 1815 a flood in the Heaton Colliery trapped 41 men and 34 boys underground. Their bodies were not recovered until February 1816, when it was found that many had survived drowning only to succumb to the foul air in the upper parts of the pit, where they sought refuge and from which there was no escape. At a later date the nearby spinney was planted in commemoration of the disaster, a tree for each life lost. This tablet, provided by the National Union of Mine-workers Northumberland Area and fixed in position by the Housing Management Committee of the Corporation of Newcastle upon Tyne, was unveiled on 24th November 1966 by the Lord Mayor of this City, Alderman Jonathan F. Burton, in their renewed memory.
  • Owner

    Phil Thirkell
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial License
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63008913@N00/426718733/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 1404 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES