HER(4035): Lemington Glass Works

  • Description

    "Lemington Glass Works. The works were opened in 1787 by the Northumberland Glass Company. Initially flat glass was produced from 4 large glass cones. In 1906 the site was purchased from the Duke of Northumberland by GEC, who expanded the works and fitted it out for production of light bulbs and tubes. Eventually all but one of the cones was demolished. The remaining one, which stands 120ft high is one of only four such survivals in the country. It was cleaned and repointed in 1993. Local legend has it that the cone was made from 1 million bricks...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/smr/4035
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 9 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 730 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES