St Nicholas Cathedral - official Website

  • Description

    "Very soon after the building of a castle by Robert, William the Conqueror’s eldest son, in 1080, the first parish church on the site of St Nicholas Cathedral was erected – almost certainly in wood. The first building was rebuilt in stone towards the end of the 12th century. This was twice damaged by fire in the first half of the 13th century but repaired and extended in the following years. The first reference to ‘St Nicholas’ is in 1194.Towards the end of the 14th century, in order to allow more light into the church, the walls were heightened and a clerestory inserted...."
  • Owner

    Church of England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://stnicholascathedral.co.uk/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 400 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES