The Sutherland Building

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

  • Nigel McMurray on Sept. 15, 2020, 8:31 p.m.

    The building has a complex history and is named after Sir Arthur Munro Sutherland, possibly Newcastle's greatest philanthropist. It housed the Newcastle Medical School from 1851 prior to its move to Kings's Road in 1939. Following a substantial gift from Sutherland the building then became the Newcastle Dental Hospital and Sutherland Dental School in 1948 with Sutherland as President of its Governors. Then in 1978 the Dental School moved to Framlington Place. The original building still bears his name as The Sutherland Building, Administrative HQ of Northumbria University.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES