Humshaugh - Northumberland Communities

  • Description

    Information, photographs, maps and census information. "Humshaugh is a township, chapelry and village in the parish of Simonburn. It is 5 miles north of Hexham on the banks of the river North Tyne and not far from the B6318 [Military Road]. The military road is so named because it was built by order of General Wade shortly after the 1745 Jacobite rising to provide a direct and easy passage for troops between Newcastle and Carlisle. The name Humshaugh [pronounced Humzoff] means low ground by the river settled by Hun. An interesting story in the history of Humshaugh is the part the paper mill played in the war against Napoleon...."
  • Owner

    Northumberland County Council
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Humshaugh.htm
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 12 months ago
    Viewed: 656 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES