St Catherines Chapel. Hylton Castle.

  • Description

    Early mention of a wooden chapel that adjoins Hylton Castle and is dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria is known to have existed on the site since 1157 when the Prior of Durham agreed to allow Romanus de Hilton to appoint his own chaplain for the chapel (subject to the prior's approval) In return, the aforesaid de Hilton was to provide an annual contribution of 24 sheaves of oats for every draught ox he owned, to the nearby monastery at Monkwearmouth. The present chapel, which is on a small hill to the north east of the castle, was rebuilt in stone in the early fifteenth century and modifications followed over the next century to facilitate room for a larger congregation,
  • Owner

    cauld lad
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License
  • Further information

    Link: https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6015/5967456006_9efdc2c53d.jpg
    Alternate Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53218307@N06/5967456006/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 350 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES