DescriptionRobert de Thormodhi wounded in the Crusades at Acre, swore to raise a shrine to the Virgin Mary if he survived his wounds. He did, and to fulfil his vow, a shrine niche to the Virgin Mary, lit by five sanctuary lamps was placed in St Peter's Church on Thornaby Green. To commemorate the legend, the Victorians erected a five lamp gas standard in 1874 at the junction of George Street and Mandale Road. Following damage to this structure, a replica was made in 1983 and moved to the present location in 2010. Today it is seen as a "Beacon of Free Speech"
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9667981@N04/9215485501/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 5 months ago
Viewed: 549 times
Picture Taken: Unknown