Lemington Glass Works

  • Description

    "Glass making was first recorded in Newcastle in 1619 and was to become the second most important industry on Tyneside after coal. In 1787 the Northumberland Glass Company erected four glasshouses on land by the River Tyne, leased from the Duke of Northumberland. Within ten years, four huge brick cones had been added to increase the variety of glass products from the factory. Initially only flat glass was produced from the four large glass cones....."
  • Owner

    Lemington and Newburn
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.lemingtoncentre.co.uk/wb/pages/heritage/glass-works.php
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 477 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES