Tyne and Wear HER(12065): Bensham, Bewick Road West, Coatsworth Cinema

Related Pages


Coatsworth


Gateshead

  • Description

    "Built in 1913 (surely one of the earliest surviving purpose-built cinemas) in red brick with a Neo-Byzantine tower. It is now a boarded-up former bingo hall with a garish modern canopy {1}. This was the last cinema to be built in Gateshead before the First World War. The Coatsworth was designed by J. Landell Nicholson. The main entrance was on Bewick Road with a foyer across the width of the building. The stairs led via a mezzanine floor and waiting area to the 503 seat circle. On the ground floor there were 510 seats in the pit and 330 seats in the stalls. There was an orchestra pit and a stage. The paintwork was painted in 'delicate blues and cream'. With 1343 seats this was Gateshead's second largest pre-war cinema....."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/12065
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 425 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES