The Ferry at Bodlewell Lane

  • Description

    The ferry was first mentioned in 1661 as leased by the Bishop of Durham to Walter Etterick. The route crossed from the north side riverbank next to St. Peters church to the bottom of Bodlewell Lane. The ferry service was closed under the Sunderland Corporation Act of 1957, and the W.F.Vint, in service since 1926, made its final journey across the river in July 1957, the mayor ringing the ferry’s bell a final time
  • Owner

    Sunderland Public Libraries
  • Source

    Sunderland Public Libraries (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33844814@N06/4194156433/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 566 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES