CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL WITH ST LAWRENCE - Byker - List Entry

  • Description

    Parish church. 1862-3 by W.L. Moffat. 1936 addition of north aisle and vestry. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings and plinth; Welsh slate roofs with stone gable copings. Aisled nave with tower over south porch; chancel with north organ chamber and north vestry. Decorated style. Porch in second bay has moulded pointed arch with recessed boarded door; stone porch seats; 2 upper stages of tower have cusped lancets and 3-light bell openings; stone broach spire with lucarnes. 2-light aisle and chancel windows, 3-light east window and 4-light west window have block-stopped dripmoulds. Buttresses, diagonal at corners. 3 steeply-pitched roofs....Flat Tudor arch to vestry door. Octagonal Gothic font with shields 1843 by R. Scott; Gothic font cover. Glass in north aisle commemorates H.T. Ormerod, curate, 1893-189?.....
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1024948
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 hours, 26 minutes ago
    Viewed: 8 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES