The Green, Wallsend Residents' Association

  • Description

    "....No-one knows when The Green came into existence, or why. The probable explanation is that when the Romans abandoned the fort of Segedunum in AD 454 the river bank was no longer a safe place for the local population to live, so they moved up the side of the valley to the present location of The Green and founded a new village there. This must have been established, at the absolute latest, by the time that the Church of The Holy Cross was built c. AD 1150, in what is now the Burn Closes, to serve the needs of the inhabitants. It is probably much older...."
  • Owner

    The Green, Wallsend Residents' Association
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.thegreenwallsend.org/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 49 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES