Cross House, The Green, Wallsend

  • Description

    "This fine two storey house, which was once the local school gifted in 1748 to the village by Isabel Stewart, is a Grade II Listed building. The schoolmaster's house, now a private dwelling known as Jasmine House https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6773836, stands next door. Following the dereliction of Holy Cross Church, this building was used temporarily as a church, from 1804 until 1809 when St. Peter's Church opened. During that period, the famous engineer, Robert Stephenson was baptised here on 22nd January 1804. It reverted to use as private dwelling in 1835. For a selection of detailed free to download walking routes in the area visit www.northtynesidewalks.co.uk" Photo by Geoff Holland, 2021.
  • Owner

    Geoff Holland
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6773859
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 25 times
    Picture Taken: 2021-03-09
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES