Lanchester – All Saints

  • Description

    "An interwar Gothic revival church by a German architect, with a later bell tower. The window tracery seems to be inspired by that of St Andrew’s church, Roker. The sanctuary is panelled in marble originally from the Regent Hotel, London. The church makes a positive contribution to the Lanchester Conservation Area.The mission was founded in 1901 from St Michael’s, Esh Laude. That year, a temporary tin church was erected, which had previously served St Nicholas’ Asylum, Gosforth. A convent (now the presbytery) was built beside it, followed in 1905 by the school building. In 1926, the present church was erected at a cost of £4,500. The architect was Theo Korner (or more likely ‘Körner’), originally from Germany. Initially the church had no tower; this was added in 1955, when a Lady Chapel and new sacristies were also built....."
  • Owner

    Taking Stock. Catholic Churches of England & Wales
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://taking-stock.org.uk/building/lanchester-all-saints/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month ago
    Viewed: 25 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES