Burt Hall, Northumberland Road, Newcastle upon Tyne

  • Description

    Burt Hall is located on Northumberland Road on the Newcastle campus of Northumbria University. It was originally built in 1895 by John W. Dyson for the Northumberland Miners' Association. The building is named after Thomas Burt (1837-1922), who was General Secretary of the Northumberland miners for 27 years, and an M.P., becoming Secretary of the Board of Trade in 1892. The building also has a plaque commemorating William Straker (1855-1941), who was a social reformer and leader of the Northumberland Branch of the National Union of Mineworkers. Burt Hall continued to be the headquarters of the Northumberland Branch of the National Union of Mineworkers until the early 1990s, after which it was acquired by Northumbria University. Burt Hall is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.
  • Owner

    Brokentaco
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution License
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/92024986@N00/53435257317/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 2 days ago
    Viewed: 37 times
    Picture Taken: 2023-05-14T13:34:14
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES