Crypt window, St Nicholas, Newcastle upon Tyne

  • Description

    The 14th century crypt was rediscovered in 1824. In the early 1930s four small stained glass windows were added depicting local scenes and St Catherine. The Cathedral Church of St Nicholas was founded in the 12th century. Fires damaged the original church. The stone church was started in 1275 and completed in 1359. It was remodelled in the 1770s. The Lantern Tower was constructed in 1448. In 1865 architect Sir Gilbert Scott underpinned the leaning tower and rebuilt the crown. In 1882 St Nicholas was designated the Cathedral Church for the new Diocese of Newcastle. https://newcastlecathedral.org.uk/learn/history-and-heritage/history-of-the-cathedral/" rel="noreferrer nofollow">newcastlecathedral.org.uk/learn/history-and-heritage/hist...
  • Owner

    kaysgeog
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23351536@N07/53611429082/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 2 days ago
    Viewed: 25 times
    Picture Taken: 2024-03-08T12:43:43
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES