Catton Primitive Methodist Chapel (Allendale)

  • Description

    Catton Methodist Church, formerly Catton Lane Foot Chapel. 1882, replacing an earlier chapel. A rather unusual chapel in a free Gothic style, dominated by shouldered arches and corbelling, reminiscent of several buildings in the valley, notable Allenheads Hall (1847). Snecked squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof with pierced terracotta ridge tiles. Chamfered plinth and mid-height band, hollow-chamfered below. End elevation to street has a central polygonal bay with two tiers of windows and a projecting porch to the right with a lintel inscribed 'PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL 1882'. Foundation stone (on bay) commemorating Henry Waugh, d.1884, for 50 years a local preacher....
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://keystothepast.info/search-records/results-of-search/results-of-search-2/site-details/?PRN=N7326
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 4 days ago
    Viewed: 31 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES