Swinhope Methodist Chapel

  • Description

    "This simple and functional building was built in 1845 and remodelled in 1884. It remained in use as a Primitive Methodist chapel until the 1960s and was converted to a private house in the 1990s. It is rectangular in plan with a central porch and a smaller block on the right side that was probably used by the Sunday school. This chapel was used as a meeting place by striking miners in 1849. As a result of the strike many miners were told they could never work in this area again and about 60 people emigrated from East Allendale to Illinois, USA. The chapel accounts book records parting gifts made at this time. This is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law. http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N7104" Photo by Les Hull, 2019.
  • Owner

    Les Hull
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6399604
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 5 days ago
    Viewed: 26 times
    Picture Taken: 2019-07-03
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES