THE CUMBRIAN HOTEL - Carlisle - List Entry

  • Description

    Hotel built as The County and Station Hotel, latterly The County Hotel. Dated and inscribed on pediments G.H.H. (George Head Head, a Carlisle Banker) 1852; by Anthony Salvin; 1866-8 extension by Cory and Ferguson of Carlisle. Partly rusticated stucco on chamfered plinth with rusticated pilaster quoins, string course, sill band and cornice. Graduated greenslate mansard roof with shaped pedimental dormers; C20 copper pavilion roof on tower with ornamental rail to apex. Panelled stucco ridge and gable chimney stacks. Main facade, 3 storey, 5 bays with 15-bay return; further 2 bays at left over archway of Collier Lane; left projecting 5-storey, 3-bay tower is an 1866-8 addition....
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1209676
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 6 days ago
    Viewed: 23 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES