OUTER BAILEY ALMA BLOCK - Carlisle - List Entry

  • Description

    Border Regiment recruit reception centre and canteen, now Cumbria County Record Office. Built by Messrs J&R Bell (contractors), see Carlisle Journal, 1 April 1932. Flemish bond brickwork on chamfered red sandstone plinth; raised calciferous sandstone quoins, sill band and cornice. Graduated greenslate roof with projecting modillioned eaves and gabled pediments. 2 storeys, 7 bays with rear extensions forming rough L-shape. Single bays at each end project and are quoined, that to right with a pedimented doorway. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone surrounds. Upper central C20 painted stone panel is inscribed ALMA, one of the battle honours of the Border Regiment....
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1297366
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 6 days ago
    Viewed: 27 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES