The Dispensary, Chapel Street

  • Description

    "Built in 1857, the dispensary provided free medical, surgical and dental treatment for the poor. The dispensary was founded in 1782 by Dr John Heysham, originally at Paternoster Row. It continued its function until the formation of the National Health Service in 1948. Information about the work of the dispensary can be found on the Carlisle History website http://www.carlisleshistory.co.uk/page26.htm . The building was restored in 1934, the event is recorded on a plaque - see [[3739057]] . The site is currently used as a daycare centre." Photo by Rose and Trev Clough, 2013.
  • Owner

    Rose and Trev Clough
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3739043
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month ago
    Viewed: 39 times
    Picture Taken: 2013-09-27
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES