CHURCH OF ST AIDAN - Carlisle - List Entry

  • Description

    "Church of England church. 1899 (dated on foundation stone), completed 1902, by CJ Ferguson. Quarry-faced red sandstone on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses, string course, eaves cornice and solid parapets on aisles. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables and cross finial.....inscription on west wall THE TWO BELLS THE GIFT OF MRS BLANSHARD OF CAMERTON HALL WERE FIRST RUNG ON 1 JANUARY 1900 TO USHER IN THE NEW CENTURY. C20 stained glass in 2 aisles and in east window. Octagonal font with carved tracery panels. Original designs for church are in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/E4/13166, approved 12 May 1899. A photograph in the Cumberland News (1982) shows the laying of the foundation stone on 8 September 1899...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1218914
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 weeks ago
    Viewed: 29 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES