Brigham War Memorial - List Entry

  • Description

    "....Brigham War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the Church of St Bridget, south of the A66, north of Low Road, Brigham, Cumbria. It is prominently situated off the churchyard path near to the church entrance. It comprises a rustic, red Aberdeen granite cross on a short shaft, surmounting a large rough-hewn tapering plinth with a polished inscription face to the front, and a similar base block below. It is set within a five-sided red Aberdeen granite kerb area accessed by three steps. The plinth bears the inscriptions in incised and white-infilled lettering. The inscription reads IN HONOUR OF THE MEN OF BRIGHAM PARISH/ WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (NAMES)/ “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS/ LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS”// 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES)...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1457578
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 33 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES