Cockermouth – St Joseph

  • Description

    "A temporary building served from Wigton was replaced, according to the Cumberland Gazetteer with a ‘a neat chapel’, in the course of erection in 1847. This is possibly that part of the present church which survives as a transept, linked to the present presbytery. The first priest appointed to the parish was a Fr. Orrell in 1853, who built the present church in 1856, from designs supplied by T. G. Gibson of Newcastle (Pevsner)...."
  • Owner

    Taking Stock - Catholic Churches in England and Wales
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://taking-stock.org.uk/building/cockermouth-st-joseph/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 months, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 126 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES