Cockermouth

  • Description

    "Chapelry, borough and market town in Brigham parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. Became UD 1894 (until 1974). For The Gote area, transferred from Papcastle CP 1934, see Papcastle....from 12th century Cockermouth Castle was caput of barony of Allerdale and honour of Cockermouth (comprising the Five Towns south-west of town and forest of Derwentfells, the land between rivers Cocker and Derwent). Honour of Cockermouth descended through heirs of Waldeof, lord of Allerdale in early 12th century, to William Fitz Duncan (d. c.1153). After death of his widow Alice de Rumilly (d. 1186-7), it was partioned between daughters Cecily, wife of William le Gros, earl of Aumale, and Mabel wife of Reginald de Lucy. Aumale share descended to William de Fortibus III (d. 1259), earl of Aumale, and then to his widow Isabella (d. 1293), when it reverted to Crown...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/cockermouth
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 8 months ago
    Viewed: 232 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES