St Michael and All Angels, Alnham

  • Description

    "The parish church of St Michael and All Angels in the tiny village of Alnham is set on the edge of the Northumbrian National Park, close to the source of the River Aln and somewhat off the beaten track. The earliest written records of a church on this site are in 1135 when William de Vesty gave the church to the monks of Alnwick Abbey. It is likely that there was a church here before this time when the Lord of the Manor (the remains of the ancient manor house are to be found on the south side of the River Aln opposite the church) would have maintained the church at his own expense. It might well be that the church yard is older than the church, whilst in relative terms the lych-gate in modern there are three ancient socketted bases for crosses standing close to it...."
  • Owner

    Parish of Upper Coquetdale
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://coquetdaleanglican.org/alnham/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year ago
    Viewed: 149 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES