Tyne and Wear HER(6474): Newcastle, Westgate Road, The Bodega PH (Old Black Bull)

  • Description

    "Designed by Septimus Oswald c.1872. This was a rebuild of the Old Black Bull Public House. Jacob Wilkinson took over the Black Bull around 1860. It had a small brewery which Thomas Dixon had run until 1857. The rebuild in 1872 included a shop as well as the public house. This arrangement lasted until 1893 when the shaving saloon closed and the space was added to the public house. Jacob Wilkinson improved the brewery. In 1901 the three-storey brewery building collapsed during foundation digging for the new Pavilion Theatre (demolished in 1992). The brewery had to be rebuilt...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/6474
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year ago
    Viewed: 118 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES